Hello Style Bunnies 🙂
I’m back with another post for the day. We all use make-up brushes day in and day out to ease make-up application, and also to get the right kinds of finishes of the products. But most of us ignore cleaning these make-up brushes! With time, these brushes get worn out, which may be harmful for our skin. Using the same brush over and over again can be very un-hygienic. Since brushes are used for dry, wet and creamy products, bacteria tend to accumulate and grow on the surface of the brushes, and you may end up with break-outs on the face out of sheer carelessness and laziness.
The life of brushes also depends on various factors like where and how you store your them.
Why To Clean Makeup Brushes:
If you are a regular wearer of make-up, it is recommended to wash the brushes at least once week, or every alternate weeks. Here are some more facts about what dirty brushes can do to your skin.
1. Dirty Brushes are a Hub of Germs: When brushes are not cleaned regularly, dust, dirt and germs collect on them, which when used, get transferred to your other make-up products. As we all know, germs spread more rapidly in moisture, contaminating other things. Hence, do not keep liquid make-up nearby dirty brushes or do not use these brushes with liquid make-up.
2. Dirty Brushes Compromises on your Makeup Art: Dirty brushes do not blend well with eye shadows and blushes, hence not truly bringing out the colour you meant to wear. No matter how much you have invested into buying that eye shadows or blushes, not maintaining the brushes could result in short durability and non-functionality.
3. Dirty Brushes can result in Skin Problems: It is always advisable to use clean or dirt free products on your skin & when it is about make-up, hygiene becomes more important. Careless attitude towards make-up product may result in skin problems. After using make up brushes, simple put it into a proper wash before you decide to reuse it.
4. Making it a Good Investment: Regular cleaning of the brushes increase their life span and make them act smoothly on your skin.
5. Sharing Brushes Make them More Dirty: Sharing brushes make them more vulnerable to germs. Since, you will be transferring germs to the other person and vice versa. You certainly do not want to carry the other person’s filth on your face. Simply, clean the shared brushes!
By now, you would have been convinced that why you should be regularly cleaning your make-up brushes. The important question is how! How to clean makeup brushes at home?
How to Clean Makeup Brushes:
1. Use Olive Oil
Olive oil acts as a gentle cleanser and helps in keeping the bristles conditioned. Brushes made from natural hair or fibers should be cleaned using olive oil. Pour a tablespoon of olive oil onto a clean sponge (preferably a new one). Now swirl the brush over the sponge until dirt residues are transferred to the sponge. If your brush is still left unclean, you must repeat the process. Now rinse the brush under warm water to remove excess oil. Let the brush dry by placing it on a clean towel for some hours.
2. Use a Soap Bar
Choose a plain (unscented) bar of soap and wet it. Place it inside a bowl, so that it won’t slip away. Now swirl the brush in a circular motion onto the soap to form a lather. Ensure that soap does not enter the barrel as this will damage the glue that sticks the bristles to the handle. Also, do not press the brush hard. After cleansing is done, run some warm water on the brush to clean up the soap lather. Place brushes on a clean towel to let them dry. Soap bar is usually used when the brushes’ bristles are made of plastic.
3. Clean with Sponge and Baby Shampoo
Wet a clean sponge and put a little baby shampoo on it. Now swirl the tip of your brush in a circular motion on the sponge. This will work up the lather and help the soap clean your brush. Now, wash the bristles under warm water and allow it to dry on a clean towel.
Tip: Leave the brushes to dry over-night. Avoid using a hair dryer to dry the brushes, as the heat may damage the bristles in the long run.